Thursday, January 22, 2009

Catching up!!

Wow it’s January 2009.
We are into a New Year, and we have a new president.
It’s been in the upper 60’s low 70’s for about 2 weeks now and it looks like it will be in the low 50’s for the first part of next week and back up to the 60’s by the end of the week.
Yes, Yes I have been out in the garden working away. I put up another 100 feet of fence or so and will finish that project up next fall. I have about another 125 feet or so to go before it is finished.
I watered the garlic and trees today and planted (in doors) some tomatoes, hyssop and other herbs that will be transplanted in the spring to the great out doors.
I sent in a soil sample about two weeks ago, and got my seed order in the next day.
I am planting about 95% Heirloom this year and hope to collect some seeds in the fall.
Some of the vegetables I am planting this year are, Pole and bush beans, beets, dent corn, cauliflower, carrots, cucumber, peanuts, (we’ll see if they come into harvest; should be fun) snow peas, sorghum, tomatoes, and at least 14 different herbs.
I am thinking about planting some blueberries and or raspberries.
Some of the other things I have been up to is making Hypertufa, (a pot that is made with peat moss, cement, vermiculite. There are other ways to make the pots (as I am learning) but that is one way. I will have some photos as I get some of the pots looking good.
Some other things to keep an eye out for on this blog are what I am learning about, solar power, wind generator, (renewable energy) and sustainable agriculture and micro gardening.
Foot Notes:
My snow peas did come up; however, the rabbits got to them before I could get any peas from them. That will teach me to take the fence down early.
I have also been learning how to slaughter and butcher lambs, along with that comes cooking the lamb as well. Thank you to my brother and his wife Ron and Adrea.
I will post some recipes for lamb and other good food as time goes on.

No comments: