Sunday, February 8, 2009

Raspberries


I have ordered 6-heritage raspberry plants, so now I have been working on a place to grow them.
Raspberries needs well drained organic soil; I have a clay soil. So I have decided to put the raspberries in a raised bed. (See photos) The beds are just in the first stage of being put together.
The root system for raspberries is about two feet and they need a soil that will drain, (raspberries don’t like wet feet) so I am going to dig down 1 to 1 ½ feet and mix in organic mater, manure, and pet moss. With the 4" box they should be ok. (We’ll see this fall).
I have decided to put them in a trellis even though the heritage raspberry plants don’t need a trellis. They can have a spread of 4’ to 7’ and a height of up to 7’. The box I have them in is 2’ x 8’ and 2’ x 16 I think I will need to contain the plants, also with a trellis I can put a net over the raspberry plants to keep the birds off.
I will be up dating this as time goes on this is my first time growing raspberries so this will be an adventure.

No comments: