Monday, August 2, 2010

New can be good.

I got this recipe from a friend of mine.
When I first saw it my mouth started watering, however, it sounded like it would take for ever to cool and my family likes to eat NOW not when dinner is ready. So I did put it off for a bit than I just decided to go for it and it didn't take all that long to get it to the table.
Apricot Chicken with Almond Raisin Rice Pilaf.
( okay) I left out the raisins but that is just me.
1 ½ T. olive oil
2 lbs. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts in ½ – pieces.
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cinnamon
2 pinches cardamom
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp ginger
½ tsp salt
1 large onion
1 large clove garlic, minced
2/3 c dried apricots, cut in quarters
1 c apricot preserves
2 (61/4 oz) cans rice pilaf mix (I used the box)
4 c reduced sodium chicken broth
2/3 c raisins
1 c slivered almonds
Mix paprika, cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, ginger and salt in a bowl; add cubed chicken, tossing to coat. In very large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken and onion; saute 7 to 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Add garlic, apricots and apricot preserves the last 2 minutes of cooking add stir. Keep warm. In the meantime, prepare pilaf according to pacage directions, substituting chicken broth for water and adding raisins. Serve chicken over rice and sprinkle with almonds. Makes 8 servings.
(By: Shirley Penkoff Amazing Grace Fellowship cookbook)

This is a great dish, the next time I make it I think I will add less apricot preserves. It was a little two sweet for me. I think I will just add about ½ cup maybe 2/3rds cup.

Give this a try hope you like it as much as I did.


Till next time

Happy Cooking

No comments: