Thursday, March 4, 2010

Closer to spring every day


I worked out in the garden yesterday, it is amazing how much damage voles and prairie dogs can do in such a short amount of time. That's not to mention the rabbits and some of the birds we have.

I dug out the rototiller and went after it. After 4 hours of guiding that thing around I have only tilled up ½ of last years garden. I normally don't like to till this early in the year, but I have a lot of compost and organic mater to work in this year. I am also finding out that the clay soil I have is harder to work with than I thought. So on we go. I also don't think I will be planting dent corn any time soon, the root system on the corn I planted last year is dug in and will take some time to get out.

So my plan for this year will be to change the rows from north to south, to east to west, this will do two things I hope will help out. The first is that the rows will be shorter and easier for me to work. The second is when I irrigate I will have gravity working with me, and I hope that the ground will level out some.

I have decided to put in buckwheat and some other cover crop on ½ of the garden. (I'm still thinking what I would like with buckwheat.) The ground needs more nitrogen and the organic mater won't hurt anything.


I now have my seed order in to Baker Creek, and after my order I may have to extend my garden a few 100 feet.



Till Next Time



Happy Planting


No comments: