Thursday, July 2, 2009

Looking Good





































The garden is looking good so far. I found a grasshopper in the garden to day not a good sign. Last night I killed a tomato worm, so it looks like it is time to get some horticultural oil and make bug spray. The tallest corn is just below my waist, a few of the tomatoes have buds on them, and the beans are in bloom also. I think that a few of the potatoes have been visited by a pocket gofer or a vole. Ether way I need to take care of that also. I planted two current bushes yesterday they looked a little peaked from the high temperature and high winds but I soaked them last night and look a lot better today.
I planted a high breed poplar tree two years ago as a stick. (The high breed poplar are a fast growing tree) This year so far it has grown about 18” it now is about 7' tall. I planted it for quick shade and plan on removing it in about another 8 to 10 years or so. Because the tree is so fast growing it is also not very strong and cant hold up to high winds like other trees can, but like I said I wanted something for shade quickly and should have a tree 15 to 20 feet by next year. I hope.
We planted some roses two or three weeks ago that are doing good, looks like we just might get some roses to live. All we can do out here is try.
Gardening here in Southern Colorado in the high plains you will use a lot of water the one thing that we don't get a lot of in the form of snow or rain, but by staying on top of watering and not cutting your watering short it can be done. Now as long as we don't have any watering restrictions it starting to look like we just might have a good harvest this year.
Till next time

Happy Gardening / Watering
















No comments: