Sunday, July 26, 2009

Beans, and other vegetables

Beans are starting to become my favorite vegetable to grow out here on the High Plains. Due to my soil type and the high salt in the soil they seem to do good but the plant doesn't seem to get as tall as it would in other soil types. But the flowers on them I think are worth it. I have white, blue and red flowers growing on the beans now just beautiful. My one pumpkin plant has been invaded by the
potato beetle I have used horticultural oil so I am going to need to spray with seven or something to knock them back. They have ravaged some of the plants leaves.
Beets seem to be doing good this year, however, potato's got hit by a vole and now the potato beetle so if we get any thing out of them I will be surprised. Corn is doing OK some stalks are over 6' tall. Some of the corn is starting to tassel so I don't think that it will get to be the 13' I would have liked to see it get to. We have been getting a little rain each night but not enough to go down to the roots, so I'm off to water.
Till next time


Happy Gardening

No comments: