Thursday, February 3, 2011

Worms or No Worms that is the question.

Now most of you who have read and or seen my You Tube videos know I have raised worms for composting. Unfortunately over the last year they have been dying off little by little. I have found myself in a spot where I need to ask do I replace the worms I have lost of just do with out? So I had to do some investigating as to why the worms dyed. The only thing that I can come up with for any kind of good or descant answer is that the tap water that I have here is bad for the worms. So If I am to get more worms I will need to filter the water. I also think that there might be some rodents eating some of the worms but I believe that the rodents are doing minimal damage. Now for the big point is the cost of replacement, worms are going for about $90.00 for 5 pounds that comes out to just about $18.00 per pound. If they live than all will be good, if they dye off than not so much.
I am thinking that I will be buying more worms in March or April as it worms up out side and the worms have a better chance of making it. I will keep you posted on how that is going and were I am in the process.
The benefits of using worms for composting far out weights not having and using the casting in the garden. I have used the castings to make a tea out of and used it as a spray on plants as an insecticide (I have seen it kill gnats and hard shelled insects) I use it as a liquid fertilizer and the castings as a soil amendment. I also use the worms to compost my trash. Such as coffee, coffee filters, tea and tea bags, vegetable waste, all kinds of paper products, I even will at times get manure and throw it in as a little treat for the worms. So there is some of the things I have been thinking of, I will be blogging more on worms and how to raise them, and some of the down falls.
If you are in the same situation as I am or if you have been thinking about getting in to worms stay posted for a lot of great information on worms.



Till Next Time

Happy Worming

No comments: